Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Mother's Day meanings

What did Mother's Day mean to me this year?

It meant that I had to cut my kidless trip to Target short, wait by myself at Mimi's Cafe for an hour, get wet from the sprinklers, order from a short version of the menu (at least they made me my "usual" even though it wasn't on there), ask my daughter to stop kicking me and sit on her bottom several times at the restaurant, pick up pieces froma a broken picture frame that got knocked over by the wind and discover the scratches and dents that it made on our new, cool bookshelves then color them in with a Sharpie.

But it also meant that another year has gone by that I have been able to spend with the most precious thing in the world to me...my little Bug, Arielle! It has been another year that I have been lucky enough to hug and kiss her, tuck her into bed at night after three stories, sing songs, play dolls and dress up with her. Another 12 months that in that time I have gotten to watch her learn how to use the potty like a big girl, get dressed all by herself, eat corn on the cob, help me fold the laundry and cuddle with on the couch. In that time I have definitely felt like a mother through and through although sometimes I have felt like I haven't always deserved to be a mother. Those are the times that I will look back on and hopefully laugh about without any regrets when I realize how much I have learned about being a mother.


I've also gotten to spend another year with my Mother which means a lot more to me than I can ever say. I love you Mom even though I don't always say it. You mean so much to us, your family.

No comments: