Friday, August 1, 2008

In case of an emergency...

I asked my mom, who just had knee replacement surgery two weeks ago, to watch Arielle this morning so I could go into work to catch up on a few things since I am really busy. She said yes so I was talking to Arielle this morning about what to do in case of an emergency {not that I think anything bad is going to happen with m y mom watching her but she should learn this anyway}. I showed her the phone in the kitchen which is out of her reach so told her she could get her stool from the bathroom to reach it. She wasn't sure she would be able to reach it though so to make her feel better I put the phone on the counter where her little arms could reach it for sure. Then I told her to push the big button first and dial "9-1-1". I went on saying that if Grandmom falls down and she can't get up that Arielle needed to do what I showed her and dial 911. This is Arielle's response: "But what if I want to help Grandmom get up?" She was so sincere when she said this to me so I told her that she was too little to help Grandmom up so that is why she needed to call 911 so that somebody bigger could come help Grandmom get up. I had heard a story on the news a little bit ago about a 2 year old that saved her mom by calling 911 so I figure if a 2 year old can do it, so can my 3 year old, right? I hope the need never arises for her to have to do such a thing but I'd like to think I can teach her what to do in case of an emergency.

No comments: