Wednesday, September 1, 2010

A BIG Memo Board

The memo board is complete and I love how it turned out!  We haven't hung it up in the playroom yet but as soon as we do I'll reveal the playroom decor makeover. 


I made this memo board from scratch using a large framed poster that someone had given to me {as usual I forgot to take a before photo}.  The frame started out black so I spray painted it white.  It took several coats which totaled two cans of spray paint.  I purchased the fabric and ribbon from Jo-Ann's and already had the batting on hand {leftover from my days of quilting which I miss}.  I cut the batting and fabric so that it would fit around the foam poster board that I had removed from the frame before I painted it.  Next I wrapped the fabric over the batting around the edges of the poster board, making sure to work my way from the center out to the corners on each side {this prevents wrinkling of the fabric}.  I used thumb-tacks to adhere the fabric and batting to the poster board but when I finished I ended up going around the entire thing with staples.  The ribbon was little more difficult and would be rather difficult to explain but I'll give it a shot.  First Zak did some math that I haven't thought about since high school {A squared plus B squared equals C squared} then we started stapling ribbon around the edges of the poster board using a ruler and checking our measurements often.  We did 3 inches in between each ribbon.  When we were done attaching the ribbon I went around the back of the board again and applied a TON more staples for extra security.  Lastly, I put packing tape all around the back of the board to cover the staples and thumb-tacks. 


Here is a breakdown of the costs to make the memo board:

-BIG poster frame and board = $0
-2 cans of spray paint = $9
-1 yard of fabric = $5
-1 yard of batting = $0
-2 spools of ribbon = $4

Total cost to make BIG memo board = $18



***LINKY PARTIES***The Shabby Chic Cottage***Today's Creative Blog***The Shabby Nest***

~Desiree~

3 comments:

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

Hi, What a great job, I really like the color combination. Isn't it amazing what a paint job can do.
Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.

Leanne said...

So cute! I'm hosting We're Organized Wednesday through Saturday and would love for you to join the party. There's a great giveaway too. Hope to see you there.

Carry Grace said...

That is a nice big memo board for $18.

I'm looking forward to seeing the room with all of the new things you have been working on.