Three years ago we painted Arielle's bedroom blue. Since then I have replaced her bed, added a desk, redesigned her closet and rearranged her furniture a few times. The retro desk and chair makeover inspired me to make a couple of more small changes. I liked the fabric that I used to recover the chair pad so much that I bought more and made curtain holdbacks and a curtain for her armoire. It is nice to see splashes of this fun, colorful fabric throughout the room!
The curtain for the armoire was completed in a few simple steps. First I ironed and sewed the raw edges on the side of the fabric that I had pre-measured to fit the armoire opening. I left the width a couple inches wider than the armoire so it would have a little bit of ruffling. Next, I ironed and sewed up the top of the curtain leaving a one inch pocket for a tension rod to fit through. Lastly, I ironed and sewed the bottom hem. It was a very easy sewing project but could have been completed without sewing as well using a hot glue gun and/or iron-on hem tape.
To make the curtain holdbacks I cut four strips of fabric approximately 4 inches wide by 12 inches long. Next, I ironed and sewed the edges up then hand-stitched buttons to close the holdbacks up. It was really easy to do!
One of my favorite things about this room is the closet. Since Arielle's furniture is quite large I wanted to free up more space in her room so I decied to removed the closet doors and put her dresser in the closet. I found the white beadboard shelves at a garage sale and hung all three of the side by side above the dresser. I also added track shelving on the side of the close for additional storage. Lastly, I hung sheer panels from a shower curtain rod so we could hide the clutter at any time.
I am looking forward to making big-girl updates to Averi's room eventually!